Miami announced the dismissal of freshman wide receiver Sam Bruce on Monday due to multiple undisclosed violations of team rules.
“Freshman wide receiver Sam Bruce has been dismissed from the Miami football program based on multiple violations of team rules and a failure on his part to meet the clear expectations established to be a part of the Miami football program,” Miami said in a statement, per Jared Shanker of ESPN.com. “We wish Sam well with his future academic and football endeavors.”
Bruce, a 5’8″ playmaker out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, had yet to make an appearance in 2016. He was a 4-star recruit out of St. Thomas Aquinas and was ranked 24th among receivers by Scout.com. He was the program’s second-best commit behind Ahmmon Richards.
Hurricanes coach Mark Richt previously suspended Bruce for the first three games of 2016 due to rules violations. He’s been out of the lineup in subsequent weeks thanks to a “lower extremity” injury.
The nature of his actions is unclear at this time. Bruce left St. Thomas Aquinas last February after a photo of him allegedly holding a gun surfaced. He finished his high school degree at Cooper City-Westlake Prep.
“Bruce made the photo of himself with the weapon because of a dispute with a former Aquinas male student, a dispute centered around Bruce’s ex-girlfriend,” Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reported. “A source said the photo ended up in the hands of the former student, who then called police and Aquinas. No charges were ever filed.”
Further details on Bruce’s dismissal are not required due to student-athlete privacy rules. Bruce will be eligible to transfer to another Division I program, provided he can find one willing to take a chance on his talent.
Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter.
Read more ACC Football news on BleacherReport.com
Source: Bleacher Report-ACC Football